Monday, August 1, 2011

I Got Accepted Into A Clinical Trial!

Today was my appointment to apply for a clinical trial for a new depression medication. The day kind of started off poorly, because on the way there, I got stuck in a huge traffic jam, for about half an hour, so I was really late. But the people were really nice about it... not like going to a regular doctor's office where you would just miss your appointment! 


Here's how the process seemed to work. 


1. Doctor A explained how the whole clinical trial would work, about the placebo effect, possible side effects of medications, etc, etc, etc. I also had to read about twenty sheets of paper about it and sign each one.


2. Doctor A and Doctor B interviewed me about my depression symptoms and other medical and mental health history. They asked how long I'd gone through depression, whether I experienced suicidal thoughts, whether I had a loss of appetite, trouble sleeping, lost interest in activities... you know, all the basics. 


3. I had to do a computerized assessment that basically asked all the same questions. 


4. Doctor A gave me a brief physical exam that included getting my temperature, blood pressure, weight, height, listening to my heart, looking in my eyes, ears and throat, etc 


5. Some technicians came to give me an EKG test. I at first thought it was the kind where I'd have to run on a treadmill, but that is called a stress test. This one was easy... I just had to lay on the exam table, and they put little stickers around my heart and on my arms and legs, and then turned on the machine for about a minute.

6. I had to pee in a cup. 


7. The only part that sucked... I had to get a blood test! But even that wasn't bad. Despite the fact that I have small and difficult veins, the technician managed to draw my blood painlessly, and I didn't even get lightheaded! 


8. The best part was when Doctor B came and handed me a check for $40! I did not know ahead of time that I would be getting paid for this. Technically, they said it was travel reimbursement, but it doesn't cost me $40 to get there! I will be getting paid $40 for every appointment I go to. That is a really nice fringe benefit, because I'm a starving student and I don't have a steady job right now, having quit my most recent job because my depression was really getting in the way of my being able to work. (My job involved working with children, and when I was feeling so bad, I just couldn't get my heart into it! Usually I am great at planning activities, etc, but this time I found myself not even caring about the kids at all, so I figured I needed a break until I could get treatment.) 


9. I have another appointment for next week, at which time they will give me the medication. I have a 50% chance of getting the type of medicine being tested, a 25% chance of getting an existing brand of medication, and a 25% chance of getting the placebo. Nobody will know what I have, not even the doctors. I really hope I get one of the medications! 


In the mean time, they are going to run the lab tests on my urine and blood. They have to make sure I don't have any major medical issues that might mess up the results of the medication. I hope I don't have any unknown medical problems! Since I don't have health insurance, I haven't had a physical exam in the last few years, so anything is possible.


After I left the office, I felt so happy, just knowing that medication was on the way! I was driving home in my car with the windows open, blasting the oldies station and singing along, just like a regular person. It was kind of a nice relief... but if Doctors A and B had seen me, they probably wouldn't have believed that 24 hours earlier, I had been crying as I walked through my favorite Six Flags amusement park, because even the rollercoasters couldn't lift my depression that day! 


I will find out more about the results of the lab tests in a few days. I'll keep you posted!

1 comment:

Jans Funny Farm said...

So hope you will get the medication and it will help you. Plus the few dollars for doing the trial.